Sunday, July 25, 2010

Registered! Richmond Half Marathon - Nov 13, 2010

After the Run2Register 10k in Quantico this past March when I finally got under a 10 min mile pace, my ex and I made this bet: if I could go sub 9 min in a 10k race by the end of 2010, we would go away for a long weekend, destination of my choice. If I didn't get under a 9 min mile, he would choose a half marathon for me to run. I was much happier to work on speed vs distance. But now that bet is void and I had never wanted to run any race with "marathon" in it...only races ending in "K", thank you very much. So how did running a half marathon make it to the bucket list?

If I had wanted to do a triathlon or run a marathon when I was in the relationship, it would've made my ex ecstatic. Even if it was my own decision, I knew it would make him happy too. Sure, we all try out new interests to have something in common to share with our partner (that's how I got into running), and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's balanced between both parties. But deciding to do these races now after the relationship has ended is truly because I want to, so I can push myself to new limits. That is so much more motivating than making someone else happy. For the past month, I've known I have to focus on myself. I picked the right individualistic sports to do so.

So why the Richmond half marathon? A couple months ago, my ex also coerced me into signing up for the Army Ten Miler based on the reassurance that if I wasn't ready by Oct 24, he'd pay for my registration. I knew this was his tricky plot to get me running a half marathon one day and I resisted at first but caved and signed up. Now here I am, registered for my longest race to date. With the help of very empathetic running buddies, I think I've got a chance of being ready. Assuming I get through the 10 miler successfully, I would have 3 weeks to train and add another 5k to that distance for the Richmond half marathon (there is also an 8k and full marathon that morning if anyone's interested!). My parents, brother and a couple longtime friends live in the Richmond area so I'm banking on their support that day. I even met new friends this weekend (also running their first half marathon) that have offered a place to crash within walking distance to the race!

Maybe the scary part isn't the training but rather, what if I like it? Could there be more half marathons in my future? We'll see. One day at a time. One race at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment