Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Break Up Bucket List

So how did the list start? My *ahem* ex (sorry, still getting used to calling him that) had a list of his own...things he wanted to do in an undefined amount of time. I was happy to support him through all the accomplishments and achievements - those moments are so much better when shared. But here I am, newly single. I was on the phone with my aunt recently and she asked, "well, what's on YOUR list?" I said, "I don't have one...how settled I am in life now and the experiences I've had so far is exactly where I want to be". I thought about what I've been saying I've been meaning to do: belay certification to start climbing, learn to snowboard, go hang gliding. Then I thought about things I told myself I could never see myself doing (triathlon, half marathon - or any race with the word marathon in it). So I put those on the list too, to test my own limits and capabilities. Next thing I know, I've got a list!

1. Belay certification to go climbing
2. Hang gliding
3. Sprint triathlon
4. Run a half marathon
5. Learn to snowboard
6. Buy a condo in DC
7. Learn to sail
8. Scuba certification
9. Obtain a pilot's license
10. Get a Master's degree in Public Health (MPH)

Some of these goals can be accomplished in the next few months and some will take a few years. Pacing is key. People do crazy things to make themselves over after a break up - drastic new haircut or hair color. Me? I sign up for a sprint triathlon and half marathon! Look out world, a new and improved me is a' comin'.

3 comments:

  1. My dear friend....after you #9, let's use it to travel somewhere fabulous where you can #7 out in the ocean where we can #2 and make use of #8.

    What do you say? Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say I'll leave the flying to someone else but the rest are fair game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I'm ready to join you on the MPH.

    ReplyDelete