Saturday, November 13, 2010
#4 Half Marathon - November 13, 2010
I did it! My first half marathon! It was the most fun I've ever had in a race. Yes, that's right, I said it...FUN. When I was with my ex, I swore I'd never run a race with the word "marathon" in it. In keeping with the spirit of the bucket list, I wanted to test my limits and see if I could reach this previously unfathomable goal. Not only did I reach it but...I enjoyed it?! So I guess long distance running goes on the list of things I tried out that I ended up liking.
Here's my top 10 list of best moments during the race:
1. The tree-lined residential streets that let me take in the beauty of the gorgeous, vibrant yellow and orange fall leaves. If I wasn't focusing so hard on breathing, I would've let out a happy sigh. :-)
2. The guy who let one of the runners into his home to use his bathroom while the speakers on his porch blasted Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance"
3. The girl who couldn't be more than 9-10 yrs old cheering near The Diamond shouting, "You're rockstars! Go runners!"
4. Spectators all along the course who cheered for me thanks to my name ironed on the front of my shirt.
5. Runners on the course reading the back of my shirt with words of encouragement or acknowledgment that it was their first half marathon too.
6. Third favorite sign: "Run Like Snot"
7. Second favorite sign: "Because 13.2 miles would be crazy"
8. Most favorite sign: "You're sooo getting laid tonite"
9. Santa's helpers theme at mile marker 10 including people on stationary bikes acting as reindeer for Santa's sleigh.
10. Downhill sprint to the FINISH!!!
Oh, the finish. It felt so good. And the best part? I wasn't dying! I had maintained a steady stride and good pace throughout the entire race with enough juice at the end to sprint the last 1/3 mile. My goal time and pace: 2 1/2 hrs or 11-11:30 pace. My actual: 2:20:24 for about a 10:42 pace. So I check off #4, half marathon, with great pride but am now considering adding a new item in its place...a full marathon. God help me. :-) I was so thankful to have my brother and mom at the finish...reminding me that for those big moments, you can always rely on your family. Click here for pictures.
Thanks, ex-boyfriend, for getting me into running...I remember that first 0.5 mile run last September like it was yesterday. Here I am making great strides on my own (haha, gotta love a good pun). I started running as a common interest in my last relationship but now I do it for me, push my limits for me, take on new distances and get faster FOR ME. I used to hesitate admitting to this but no longer: I, Kathy, am a runner. Bring on the next race :-)